HACKENSACK, NJ – Last Friday, the County of Bergen paid tribute to local military service members in a ceremony at One Bergen County Plaza in recognition of Military Appreciation Month.
Declared by Congress in 1999, May was selected National Military Appreciation Month as a month-long observance honoring the scarifies of the United State Armed Forces. Military Appreciation Month encompasses Loyalty Day on May 1st, Military Spouse Appreciation Day on May 6th, Victory in Europe Day on May 8th, Armed Forces Day on May 21st, and Memorial Day on May 30th. This year, Bergen County Executive James Tedesco and the Board of County Commissioners presented military service medals to eleven Bergen County residents for their military service to our nation’s armed forces, including two veterans who were recognized posthumously. Dr. Cindy R. Jebb who is a retired US Army Brigadier General and currently serves as President of Ramapo College offered this year’s keynote address. Along with her military service, Dr. Jebb also has held many academic positions at West Point including serving as the 14th Dean of the Academy's Academic Board.
The following honorees received service medals on Friday:
· Corporal William Burns – United States Army, Korea
· Airman First Class Manuel Moron – United States Air Force, Korea
· Technician Fifth Grade Gerald Platt – United States Army, WW2
· Specialist Four Allen Weitzman – United States Army, Vietnam
· Petty Officer Third Class James Florio – United States Navy, Vietnam
· Petty Officer Third Class Dale Sipos – United States Navy
· Captain Patrick Miller – United States Army, OIF
· Technical Sergeant Bryan Fernandez – United States Air Force, OIF
· Corporal Justeyn Baldera-Sanchez – United States Marine Corps, GWOT
· Technician Fifth Grade Eugene W. Dednam – United States Army, WWII
· Petty Officer Third Class Matthew C. Nierstedt – United States Navy, GWOT
Photo Caption: Director of Veterans Affairs Sean Hutchinson and Dr. Cindy R. Jebb being presented with two proclamations proclaiming Military Appreciation Month in Bergen County. They are accompanied by Commissioner Joan Voss, County Executive Tedesco, Commissioner Steve Tanelli, and Commissioner Germaine Ortiz.