How to Apply for Continued Rental Assistance from FEMA

FEMA may provide financial assistance to residents of Bergen, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Union and Warren counties who need temporary housing because they are displaced from their primary residence as a result of rains and flooding from remnants of Hurricane Ida.

If you received an initial grant of FEMA rental assistance, FEMA may provide Continued Temporary Housing Assistance to eligible applicants based on need and generally only when adequate, alternate housing is not available, or you cannot return to your primary residence. FEMA mails a reminder and an application to households after they receive their initial rental assistance grant. If you did not receive the reminder and application, call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) to request the application. It is important that FEMA have your current contact information. Renters must call the FEMA Helpline to determine eligibility.

The application must be accompanied by these supporting documents:

Pre-disaster and current household income status

Copies of pre-disaster lease, utility bills, renter’s insurance

Copy of current lease or rental agreement signed by you and the landlord

Rent receipts, canceled checks or money orders showing the rental assistance was used to pay for housing expenses.

The continued temporary housing need must be documented, and the applicant must continue to work toward obtaining permanent housing to remain eligible for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance.

You can submit these documents to FEMA the following ways:

Create an account at (Click “Check Status” on the Home Page and follow the instructions)

Upload via the FEMA App for smartphones

Mail to FEMA National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-7055

Fax to 800-827-8112, Attention: FEMA

  • Currently 0.00/5
Rating: 0.00/5 (0 votes cast)

Share It!

Be the first to comment